Belington is a City in Barbour County, West Virginia, along the Tygart Valley River. The population was 1,788 as of the 2000 census.
Belington was founded in 1769. Originally it was known as the Barker Settlement, after Elias Barker who had settled there with his brother William Barker. In 1785 or so, it was called Yeagers, taking its name from a settler, George Yeager, and his sons. In 1855, it took its current name, Bealington, from John Bealin who had opened up a store there, and who would later move to Kansas. It is not known when the spelling of the name was changed, but the City of Belington was chartered in 1906.
After the June 3, 1861 Battle of Philippi, considered by some to be the first land battle of the Civil War, the Confederate forces, having been routed by the Union Army in Philippi, retreated south. The Confederates made camp near the Laurel Mountain Road, today a winding single lane dirt road that crosses the mountain to connect Belington with Elkins, WV. On July 7–11 of 1861, the Confederates were forced out of their works on the road near Belington in what has come to be called the Battle of Laurel Hill. This was the most prolonged engagement of "The First Campaign," the 1861 series of clashes in Western Virginia that determined Federal control of the area.
Modern Belington now has its own comprehensive website, HERE.